Welcome to the DDGS Website!
"Every step you take is supported by a thousand ancestors"
The Downstate Delaware Genealogical Society, Inc. (DDGS) is a non-profit 501c7 corporation, chartered in 1999 to further the interest in genealogical research among its members and to assist others with an interest in genealogical research in Kent County, Delaware and beyond our state boundaries. We're prepared and have resources to help with anyone's genealogical search no matter where the roads take us. Our Society is comprised of volunteer members, and staffed by volunteers to oversee the day-to-day operations and chairpersons overseeing Society activities and events. We're an active Society, offering opportunities to learn from professionals and to educate the public, and offering network opportunities for those on their genealogy journey.
Membership is open to anyone interested in genealogy, beginners to advanced, living in Delaware or from out of state.
Legistlative Hall, Dover, Delaware
Why Join a Genealogical Society?
This is a great question and we're glad that you asked!
DDGS can offer our members:
• Education: Learn to be a better researcher through attending presentations, workshops, meetings, and special interest groups
• Socialization: Meet with a diverse group that enjoys geneaology and have the opportunity to learn, collaborate, socialize, and share common interests
• Resources: Discover records and sources or volunteer to help preserve records through digitization and indexing
• Advocacy: Support legislation and policies for vital records preservation and access for genealogical research
• Promote genealogy: Share our knowledge and resourcs, assist people in connecting their families to the past and the future during special events in Delaware communities
We invite you to become a member of DDGS and help us preserve our rich family history. We're dedicated to offering a variety of services to our membership:
- Ability to network and collaborate with other genealogists
- Newsletters with interesting articles, Society updates, and resources to help you with research
- Bi-monthly membership meetings and annual membership meeting, with guest speakers
- Access to the Members Only section of the DDGS website including newsletters, membership directory, By-Laws, and meeting minutes
- Discounts on DDGS publications
- Access to workshops and conferences to keep you up to date on genealogy education and methodologies